Photo

Devs Talk About: Weapons

weapons online shooter developer diary dev diary describing guns GUNS and robots free to play shooter shooting guns

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lina

Lina

Bounty Hunter

• Administrators
  • 93 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

POPULAR

The weapons we create in Guns and Robots are unique because they do not refer to any realistic weapons we have seen in a shooter. We do not want them to be alike and that is why we are constantly aiming at the unique visuals, balance, interesting usage, constantly improving their modifiers and suffixes.

The weapons in GAR are generally classified in three main categories – heavy, light and medium. As GAR is all about customization we have fine-tuned the weaponry with all kinds of household utensils which are pure fun to use. Fun cartoon style weapon suffixes makes the weapons look not as frightening as they really are. What we like most about our weapons is the freedom to tailor the arsenal according to specific play style. In this first dev diary about the weapons in Gar we want to present you the Ant Killer, Humiliator, Trasher and the Stringray.

Our initial selection of hardware was lacking a representative of the Energy Weapons category, and it was a long way for novice players to reach the Pewpew laser. Hence, we introduced the Ant Killer: an affordable, entry level energy gun that contrasts the Pewpew’s high rate of fire with slower but more precise performance. The Ant Killer as dictated by its name has to represent weapon and a fun playtoy. As the design had to be with elegance of a killer and at the same time had to remind of the playtime with magnifying glass the task was hard. The whole concept and story behind the weapon was difficult to represent as the robots were not so easily killed by a magnifying glass as ants were. That was the reason we had to think of a credible visuals to represent its deadly energy power. That is how the Ant Killer was born from the credentials we already had in our mind about combining deadly with funny!

The Stingray idea came after many preliminary phases and tests we had performed in the first weeks of the Open Beta. We needed a weapon that our players could get their hands on very early, after a couple of matches. They got the Stingray – it may be thought of as a poor man’s Reaper, but the difference in combat stats is nowhere near as big as the one in the price. This Light Weapon launches electro-tip darts at your opponent that will shock and short-circuit his systems. The gameplay was lacking variations in the weaponry and we still needed to add a weapon that was deadly in close encounters.

That is how we came with the idea of making the Humiliator. Ever feel like punching someone in the face? We wanted to give to our players the option to bring to their enemies destitution, despair and humiliation with one shot! This close range weapon is very interesting as of its usage. It punches the enemies with a balloon and damages severely those in the range. For the concept of the weapon we think of what will be most humiliating for a robot? And guess what ? A balloon in the face !

As many of the weapons are practically made of trash, there was no reason we should not make a weapon like the Trasher. The Trasher is short range weapon and it launches ...well trash. Ever wondered how many garbage your opponents can take? Dump the trash in your enemies' face with this short range weapon and see!

#2 Dreamz123

Dreamz123

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

how many seconds do the anti-robot mine plant again?                        

Guns And Roses

#3 Dreamz123

Dreamz123

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

hey guns and robots can the turrent  add the rank? 

Guns And Roses

#4 haidme

haidme

Most Wanted

• Administrators
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Yes, turrets adds to the robot rank.

#5 kakts18

kakts18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

what do i have to upgrade to get the 6 weapon mount ?

#6 Support

Support

gg2_

• Administrators
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

Hello kakts18,

We have two special arms, "Chimera" and "triceratops", that can be obtained by opening crates or completing special challenges.

#7 Ryan (SIR)

Ryan (SIR)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

I started a post in the General Discussion section about how I believe incentives for ranking up might help gain new comers interest in the game, seen here http://forum.play-gar.com/index.php?/topic/4011-incentives-for-leveling-up/ .

I think the biggest issue that prevents people from ranking up their robots is the cost of resupply for their weapons.  You can see an example of that in the above link I posted.  The gains per game when you have higher tier weapons (excluding lasers) is pretty much nothing to costing you the player to play.  With no coins coming in to improve your robot or make new ones or to help your guild out with there is no reason to want to use weapons at a higher tier keeping most players remaining at the ranks 1, 2 and 3, which should be for the new comers to learn at IMHO.

Having experienced players remaining at these low level ranks because it's simply not worth ranking up I know for a fact is the reason some new players to GAR leave the game after only 1 or 2 days.  It's no fun to die seconds after the start of a game because your facing top level guild players who have the skill, buffs and teams to annihilate anyone who is just learning the game.

I believe GAR needs to push for us to want to have top ranking robots, not discourage or punish us for it like it seems now. 

#8 HeRoIII

HeRoIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

hi, i have an issue with "splash damage" when the robot dishing out the splasn damage is right on you, spamming the ground , causing lag and frame freeze(what ever you want to call it) , he can't see what he is aiming at , and you can't see where to go. The skill here involved is zero ... but if HE was party to the damage he is dishing out, then he would try to use skill and dish out the damage from a distance ... this only applies to 2 weapons i can think of ( YOU KNOW THE ONES) ...... hailfire and chewing guns. They should not be able to cause so much mayhem with so little skill. Make them them recieve damage to, instead of running through it all, scot-free. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weapons, online shooter, developer diary, dev diary, describing guns, GUNS and robots, free to play shooter, shooting, guns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users