10 replies to this topic

#1 Orome

Orome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

From what experience I currently have playing GAR I found 3 main problems that just ruin gameplay quality making the game rather annoying than fun and it's really sad considering the game isn't bad. So I decided to write this down in hopes for a change, a change that is not like all the others, a quality change.

Let's start with something small.

Bot Tier System

I can't find anything anywhere something that would explain to me how it works, why would I want to use it (upgrade), when it changes, how it chances, why it changes? The UI is just really poor, if an experienced player didn't explain what he has found about how it works it would take me really long time time to understand and even at this point no one from people I know fully understands it, there are still a lot unexplained things happen with it as people try different upgrades trying to make logic pattern when they really shouldn't.

It would be really nice to have a progress bar or something that identifies how many upgrades you must do to go next tier robot or not do to stay same tier. I will give you as example game called Robocraft, they also use robot tier system and with every item you add it shows how much progress this item adds to your robot rank. It is very useful information that makes everything clear.

Here is how it looks, look at the bottom bar on the screenshot that says "Tier":

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/534003559191194124/1CEA1245EDA4E59321B8FB37641047D6A6C52002/

Matchmaking and Robot Rank System

Here comes the most important one.

From what I saw the most preferred robot rank for experienced players is rank 3, there is very little point to go above as there just aren't enough players which makes the whole robot tier system flawed. There just aren't any benefits from trying to get to rank 10, if anything it just becomes more problematic and painful, upgrading is no fun, finding matches is really hard and from what I heard high tier bots are just OP.

I am not sure how you did remake matchmaking last update, I remember people complained about high queue times, but right now, it really isn't any better. You tried to make it more fair from what I understand but here is another problem.

By making it "fair" now I end up most of my matches against bots, playing against bots is just horrible and boring, I feel like I am playing less addictive cookie clicker again. You are thinking to counter my argument by mentioning long queue times, but killing predictable and boring IA that again doesn't give you any benefits is no better than waiting 5 minutes in queue to find real person that actually IS giving you points to go up rank on the leaderboard which is the only thing that keeps this game interesting. If the gameplay is fun enough it just worth waiting those 5 minutes, quality over quantity, please.

I suggest remaking the whole matchmaking system in such a way where you end up playing against real players in conditions that would make less experienced players want to improve and experienced players have fun. One way to achieve that is by giving some extra rewards to less experienced players for playing against more experienced ones. The experienced players already know game's ways so all they want is more variety in reasonable amounts and more real people to play against.

Right now there is just not enough people for the current system to work well enough, if you really care about game's development please remake matchmaking in right way

Leaderboard Points

This is less important but still a thing because all veteran players done about everything there is to do and to be honest there really isn't much to do... so what keeps them going is something to compete, leaderboard. There is just a small problem with it, nobody seems to know how the flippidy flop it bloody works. How do you gain points? How do you lose points? Why do you lose points? Why do you gain points? How many points you gain? How many points you lose?

Just like bot tier system I think it would be reasonable for the leaderboard system to be explained in a reasonable matter rather than "Don't be a scrub, kill stuff, get good, don't die, ggktnxbye". 

So, in hopes of changes, hear my pray oh mighty lords of programming and game design, may you slay all the bugs and let your kingdom flourish with players.

#2 Orome

Orome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

I see some people are liking my post, I believe it would really help if you guys share your opinion about this matter with words.

#3 BRING IT™

BRING IT™

Most Wanted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

Leaderboard Points

How do you gain points? How do you lose points? Why do you lose points? Why do you gain points? How many points you gain? How many points you lose?

1. By winning a game, staying alive and hopefully killing someone.

2. If you get killed.

3. Because you got killed.

4. If you do gain points it means you are doing something right :D

5. You gain as much points as good you are, the difference between losing and winning...

6. You lose points depending on the difference of the points of a player who killed you, but how much is a mystery, since the points aren't updated immediately I can't tell, only game devs know that exact formula.

#4 Maxer

Maxer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

Well I don’t have anything brilliant to add. I’ve suggested some of the same things myself before. But here’s my two cents worth.

I like your idea about a progress bar that shows how many upgrades you can do to your bot before it goes up to the next rank. I think most of the players have had to learn it through trial and error. But it certainly would be nice to to have some kind of indicator that would show how much you can upgrade a bot within each rank.

As far as the matchmaking goes, I think that was a the wrong execution of the right idea. This has already been suggested before, but now I’m starting to agree with it. Rank 1 should be reserved only for new players who want to learn the game. Several times I’ve seen new players come into the game at rank 1 and constantly get pounded by more experienced players who know how to use the ranking system to their advantage. Then the new player gets frustrated and leaves, never to return. I say that with a bit of tongue in cheek because I’ve been guilty of this myself. But I think it would be good for the game if new players could have a place to learn the game before being thrust into the arena against more experienced players who will rip them to shreds.

I've played at almost every rank at one time or another. All the way up to rank 10 (funny story about that if anyone’s interested). For my experience, there really isn’t much point in playing beyond rank 6. Very few players play beyond that rank and it takes forever to get a battle. And call me crazy, but I actually enjoy facing the autobots at higher ranks. They are much better at higher ranks and much more organized. They don’t just wander around aimlessly waiting to be killed. So if you are looking for a challenge and don’t mind waiting a loooooong time for a battle then you could give it a try at higher ranks. But rank 6 is the highest I would recommend anyone go. Otherwise you’ll be waiting even longer. Longest I ever had to wait at high ranks was about 20 minutes.

But getting back to the matchmaking process, I think it might be more balanced to have different classes of battles that players could play in. Sort of like weight classes for boxers. It wouldn’t be much of a fight to matchup a lightweight fighter against a heavyweight. No matter how good the lightweight fighter is, the heavyweight fighter is going to be able to give and take more damage and would have a significant advantage over the lightweight fighter. I don’t know exactly how this would work in G&R, but one of my biggest frustrations has always been running into squads where all the players have nothing but heavy weapons and they can run around blowing everyone away in just a few shots. Of course anyone should be allowed to use whatever weapons they want. But naturally a bot armed with frag rifles or necros is going to be able to dish out more damage than a bot armed with pewpews or nailers.

And as for the leaderboard point system, that’s a new post altogether for me. I’ve been playing G&R for about a year now and I still don’t understand entirely how it works. Yes I know you get points for kills and winning battles. And yes I know you lose points for being killed and losing battles. But as far as the details of the point system, that still remains a mystery to me. What determines how many points you win or lose in a battle? How many points do you get if you win the battle but fail to complete the objective? How many points do you lose if you complete the objective but get killed in the process? And what about the daily missions? Yes it clearly shows how many credits and sparks you get for completing them. But how do they factor into the point system?

One solution might be to have a set amount of points you will get no matter what happens in a battle. Win or lose, you get 2 or 3 points just for trying. Or maybe have it where points are won and lost based on a player’s overall skills rather than the results of each individual battle. Anyone can have an off day. Or how many times has it happened where a player makes it all the way to the start of a battle only to have the system kick them back to the garage while their bot is still in the battle. Nothing they can do but wait until the battle is over and hope their bot doesn’t get killed.

This really isn’t intended to be a flame against anyone. So I hope this post won’t get pulled. I know the devs do what they can to make the game better. But I do think that issues like these should be addressed.

#5 BRING IT™

BRING IT™

Most Wanted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

How many points do you get if you win the battle but fail to complete the objective? How many points do you lose if you complete the objective but get killed in the process? And what about the daily missions? Yes it clearly shows how many credits and sparks you get for completing them. But how do they factor into the point system?

Objective doesn't affect the points at all...you can only lose points if your robot gets destroyed. I could tell the formula since it's not that hard to find out, but I don't have the determination to do this right now...

#6 Orome

Orome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:24 PM

1. By winning a game, staying alive and hopefully killing someone.

2. If you get killed.

3. Because you got killed.

4. If you do gain points it means you are doing something right :D

5. You gain as much points as good you are, the difference between losing and winning...

6. You lose points depending on the difference of the points of a player who killed you, but how much is a mystery, since the points aren't updated immediately I can't tell, only game devs know that exact formula.

This is a poor answer that everyone presumes.

#7 BRING IT™

BRING IT™

Most Wanted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

This is a poor answer that everyone presumes.

Then why ask stupid questions?

If you do, then be ready to receive according answers...if you don't want to then go and figure out the exact formula if it bothers you that much, the mechanics are clear and not hidden.

#8 Orome

Orome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

Then why ask stupid questions?

If you do, then be ready to receive according answers...if you don't want to then go and figure out the exact formula if it bothers you that much, the mechanics are clear and not hidden.

I wonder how much more simple and in detail I have to make my question for someone with your intelligence to understand the point.

I want to know if leaderboard system can satisfy my requirements for me to compete in it, my requirements are for it to be fair and reasonable. Right now even thought the idea is intriguing there is no proof of it being fair and reasonable. There is no information given on how those numbers work, we all understand that we gain points when we kill only sertain players (actually no that isn't made clear as well) and lose points when we die, but that is extrimely poor amount of information. I am certainly not going to waste time in figuring out by myself, what you are proposing is not reasonable and if anything I rather play different game that has leaderboard system without hidden counting system, a clear one in other words where I know I am not cheated and where I can plan my gameplay from strategic point of view which I personally find way more fun.

Now I hope you understand the point but just in case I will give you an example.

Imagine you have a bottle full of yellow liquid infront of you.

From what you wrote above I presume you would chug the whole thing down momentarily. It is liquit, in a bottle, you drink it or not, right?

I on the other hand would rather know what is in that bottle because it might just be piss, I rather not drink piss.

#9 BRING IT™

BRING IT™

Most Wanted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

I wonder how much more simple and in detail I have to make my question for someone with your intelligence to understand the point.

I want to know if leaderboard system can satisfy my requirements for me to compete in it, my requirements are for it to be fair and reasonable. Right now even thought the idea is intriguing there is no proof of it being fair and reasonable. There is no information given on how those numbers work, we all understand that we gain points when we kill only sertain players (actually no that isn't made clear as well) and lose points when we die, but that is extrimely poor amount of information. I am certainly not going to waste time in figuring out by myself, what you are proposing is not reasonable and if anything I rather play different game that has leaderboard system without hidden counting system, a clear one in other words where I know I am not cheated and where I can plan my gameplay from strategic point of view which I personally find way more fun.

Now I hope you understand the point but just in case I will give you an example.

Imagine you have a bottle full of yellow liquid infront of you.

From what you wrote above I presume you would chug the whole thing down momentarily. It is liquit, in a bottle, you drink it or not, right?

I on the other hand would rather know what is in that bottle because it might just be piss, I rather not drink piss.

Ok, kiddo, I'll explain in simple words.

The system is completely fair, I've played since 2012 and the current system is the easiest to gain the points at.

Imagine, you are in the worst league, whatever it's name is, which means you have really small points, if you manage to get a killshot on someone in the higher league you get more points (since they obviously have more points than you) than if you killed someone from your league, but you will get points for each kill, yes the system counts the points after the comma, so it may seem you are not getting anything, but you do. The number of points you'll get depends on your opponents point difference to yours, the greater the difference the more points you can get and also you'll lose less if someone with more kills you.

Now about your weird example, imagine yourself in a desert, doesn't that bottle seem more appealing now, no matter what's inside as long as it's liquid?

If you still do not understand I can't help you...

P.S. You won't see unless you start looking.

#10 Orome

Orome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

You complitely ignored or missed or just unable to get the point.

It saddens me someone with such gaming experience has such poor opinion on information accessibility to gaming community, but I guess it should be expected from someone... well... like you.

#11 BRING IT™

BRING IT™

Most Wanted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

Either you can't read or write, one of those.

And there was no need to offend anyone, do you even know me? No, you don't.

Since you don't understand English, apparently, here will be an example in numbers...

You have 1000 points, you win against someone with 1700, you are likely to get around 70 or something like that, but if in the process you also get killed by someone your points will be deducted (THAT MEANS YOU WILL LOSE POINTS), hence you won't see a gain of ~70 points if that happens. Instead of throwing your nonsense at me, get a clue 1st. The points drop for a loss is also higher than the gain, so tells my experience, but if you manage to get around 100 kills while dying just once, you are likely to get points, even better if you don't die. Now, don't rebound back, I feel like talking to a wall, next time I'm taking a tank to crush through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users